Word UPC-E Generator Data Encoding Tutorial
samples to input valid data and generate linear UPC-E images in Word
UPC-E Generator Add-in for Word Introduction
UPC-E Creator for Word Overview
UPC-E, also known as Universal Product Code version E, GTIN-12 with lead 0, GS1-12, UCC-12, is the short form representation of a UPC number.
The UPC-E barcode plug-in is a UPC-E barcode image generator for Word, which is capable of easily adding high quality UPC-E barcode images in Microsoft Word 2003/2007/2010 documents. The UPC-E Add-in installation on Word is simple and requires no programming skills for users. It is easy to encode the valid digit into the UPC-E barcode symbol via the Word UPC-E add-in. Flexible UPC-E barcode properties, developed from the latest UPC-E standard, allows Word UPC-E add-in users easily configuring the UPC-E barcode images in Word documents.
This page explains in detail how you can encode valid data for a UPC-E generation in Microsoft Word documents with OnBarcode Word Barcode Add-In, here are some other tutorials you might need on how to customize image and size for a created UPC-E in Word.
UPC-E Barcode Related Products
Onbarcode is a professional barcode solution supplier. We supply both Word barcode add-ins for generating UPC-E and other barcode creation components to add UPC-E printing functionality in different developmental environment, like:
- .NET UPC-E Generation SDK, add UPC-E barcode image printing into .NET projects, like ASP.NET, .NET WinForms, Crystal Report for .NET as well as SSRS in .NET.
- C#.NET UPC-E Generation Component, generate UPC-E barcode image in .NET projects via C#.
- VB.NET UPC-E Generation Component, export high quality UCP-A barcode images in .NET projects with Visual Basic .NET.
- Java UPC-E Generation SDK, create UPC-E barcode images for multiple Java applications.
- BIRT UPC-E Generation Component, integrate UPC-E barcode image printing functionality into BIRT Reports.
Encode data into UPC-E Image in Word
UPC-E Valid Character Set
The UPC-E barcode is often used on products with a small labeling field that a full UPC-A barcode, whose image size is larger than the labeling field, is not suitable. The UPC-E barcode symbol is compressed from the UPC-A barcode symbology. It compresses out extra zeros of the UPC-A, and has about half size as the later one.
An UPC-E symbol is a fixed length barcode and only encodes 6 digits. UPC-E barcode only encodes numeric characters from 0 through 9:
UPC-E Character Set: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
UPC-E Barcode Symbol Components
If encoding the numeric string "123456" into an UPC-E symbol, it looks like the following image:
An UPC-E barcode symbology is made up of three fields from the left to right:
1. System number, a single digit at the left side of the UPC-E symbol. The first digit "0" in the above UPC-E image
2. Manufacturer code & Product code, the digits "123456" in the above UPC-E image. In UPC-E barcode symbol, the encoded six digits, converted from the five digits of manufacturer code and the five digits of product code in UPC-A, represents the manufacturer code and product code.
3. Check digit, the last digit. Numeric "5" in the above image
Encode data into UPC-E in Word
- Make sure Word Barcode add-in has been installed
- Open Word and switch to the Barcode toolbar->Add Ins tab
- Open the Bar code Panel and select the UPC-E from the barcode type list
- Enter 6 digits of the Manufacturer Code and Product into the data box
- Configure barcode properties as your requirements.
- Click Update button. A UPC-E image exported in Word!